Matt and Laura have been married since 2007 and have three children, Solomon, Ruby, and Abby.
- B.A., the Arts, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Fall 2005.
- M.Div. with Biblical Languages, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fall 2008.
- D.Min. in Pastoral Theology, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, Winter 2017.
Ministry Experience (See Resume)
- Ministry Intern, Hickory Grove Baptist Church, Charlotte, NC (2005)
- Calvary School of Pastoral Leadership, Calvary Baptist Church, Winston-Salem, NC (2006 – 2008)
- Associate Pastor, Calvary Baptist Church, Winston-Salem, NC (2009 – 2013)
- Brand Manager, The Gospel Project at LifeWay Christian Resources, Nashville, TN (2013-2015)
- Teaching Pastor, The Fellowship, Nashville, TN (2014-2015)
- Senior Pastor, Fairview Baptist Church, Apex, NC (2015-Current)
- The Leadership Council for the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention (2016).
- Young Pastors Council for the North American Mission Board (2017).
- Field Instructor, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary (EQUIP) (2017-).
- Board of Directors for The Baptist State Convention of North Carolina (2018-2022).
- President of the North Carolina Pastors Conference (2018).
- President of the Board of Directors for The Baptist State Convention of North Carolina (2021)
- Hebrews: A 12-Week Study, Knowing The Bible, Edited by J.I. Packer and Dane Ortlund (Crossway, 2015)
- 15 Things Seminary Couldn’t Teach Me (Contributor), Edited by C. Jeffrey Robinson Sr. and Collin Hansen (Crossway, 2018)
- Theosthetics: Thoughts from the Intersection of Aesthetics and Worship; Collide Magazine
- Book Review of The God Who Is There by D.A. Carson; Beginning with Moses
- Adoption, Orphan Care, and the Southern Baptist Convention; Together For Adoption
- The Noetic Effects of Sin and Discipleship of the Mind, Gospel-Centered Discipleship
- Book Review of The God Problem by Robert Wuthnow, The Gospel Coalition
- Christ-Centered Reading, Preaching, and Teaching, Gospel-Centered Discipleship
- Pastor, Don’t Waste Your Summer!, The Gospel Project (Also posted at Church Leaders)
- Fathering an Adopted Son, The Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood
- Jesus and the Ten Commandments, The Gospel Project
- Book Review of What Happens After I Die? by Michael Allen Rogers, The Gospel Coalition
- The Discipleship Interview with Eric Geiger, Eric Geiger
- Why Do We Need Physical Rest?, The Gospel Project
- Belonging to Abba, Facts and Trends
- A Deeper Look at What the Bible Says About Spiritual Growth, Explore God
- What Is Our Problem With Hell?, The Gospel Project
- Following the Steps of the Crucified One, Kingdom People
- The Word in Community, Facts and Trends
- A Fellowshipping People, The Gospel Project
- The Benefits of a Church Membership Class, The Ministry Grid
- Christ Motivates a Sacrificial Life, The Gospel Project
- The Atonement and the Passover, Ed Stetzer at Christianity Today
- The Deadly Sin of Pride, The Gospel Project
- Pastoral Care, Confidentiality, and Sexual Abuse, Pastors Today
- The Power of Story: Captivated by the Gospel, Facts and Trends
- The Long Awaited King, The Gospel Project
- Book Review of Gospel Formed by J.A. Medders, The Gospel Coalition
- The Pastor as Shepherd, For The Church
- 5 Best Books On Hebrews, Church Leaders
- Our Words Will Be Thunder When Our Life Is Like Lightning, For The Church
- The Bible and Spiritual Formation, The Gospel Project
- Why Study The Book of Hebrews?, Crossway
- Why Theology Matters, Facts and Trends and Baptist Press
- Pastor, You Aren’t Superman, For The Church
- Shepherding with Sense and Sensibility, The Gospel Coalition
- The Beauty of Congregational Worship, For The Church
- Younger Southern Baptists seek a less partisan approach to political engagement Questions, The Washington Post
- Evangelism Through The Church Community, NC Baptist, and The Biblical Recorder
- Is There Really a Calvinist/Non-Calvinist Divide in the Younger Generation?, Conventional Futures
- Pastor, Let Your Deacons Serve, For The Church
- 5 Reasons Christians Neglect Beauty In Theology, The Gospel Coalition
- The Good News of Jesus in Jonah, The Gospel Project
- Counsel For The Counselor, For The Church
- In Christian Theology, Beauty Demands to Be Noticed, The Gospel Coalition
- A Distinctively Christian Appreciation of the Arts, Tabletalk Magazine Online
- Toward a Trinitarian Ecclesiology, Credo Magazine
- Integrity in Christian Leadership, Tabletalk Magazine Online
- The One Thing A Church Needs From It’s Pastor, For The Church
- The Gospel and Our Adoption in Christ, Hickory Grove Baptist Church
- Sermons at Fairview Baptist Church (2015 – Current)
Nothing written or posted on this blog should be construed as being an official or unofficial opinion or position of my employer and church home.