Discernment for the Disciple: Matthew 7:13-20
1. Disciples of Christ need to believe and stand firm in the truth of the Gospel.
2. Disciples of Christ need to develop the discipline of discernment.
The Two Roads: 7:13-14
The Narrow Gate
The Wide Gate
The Two Trees: 7:15-20
1. False Prophet/Teacher = those who lead persons astray from right worship, right belief, and ultimately from the Gospel.
2. Discernment is “The skill of understanding and applying God’s Word with the purpose of separating truth from error.”
Disciplines for Discernment
1. Beware of teaching that encourages Inclusivism over Doctrinal purity. (Promotes wrong Belief)
2. Beware of teaching that exalts Gifts above the Giver. (Promotes wrong Worship)
3. Beware of Teaching that exalts Self-Help Over Salvation through Christ. (Promotes wrong ‘gospel’