One of the stars of Duck Dynasty has been suspended by the A&E Network following his recent comments on homosexuality. In a culture that values freedom of speech and religious liberty, this news is somewhat ironic. I’ll admit, Phil Robertson did not use the greater part of wisdom in how he said what he said. I would have nuanced the words just a little. However, the belief that homosexuality is sinful and that marriage is a covenant institution between and man and a woman is the historical Christian viewpoint. For our culture this is a problem.
As Christians we should not be surprised by this situation. There is no Christian moral majority in America. Moreover, we should not expect those outside the Church to agree with (or even understand) our views on marriage. How then shall we respond? Well, here are a few thoughtful posts that help us do just that.
- Duck Dynasty? – Russell Moore
- Duck Dynasty Star Fired Over Remarks on Homosexuality – Joe Carter
- Are there any LGBT community members who support free speech? – Marty Duren
- Why Suspending Phil Robertson Will Backfire – Trevin Wax
- You Have Been Warned—The “Duck Dynasty” Controversy – Albert Mohler
- PHIL ROBERTSON AND CHRISTIAN DISSENT – Micah Fries
- “Duck Dynasty”: Let’s Deal in Real Reality – Jared Wilson